meta content='GOSSIP, GISTS, EVERYTHING UNLIMITED' name='description'/> GOSSIP, GISTS, EVERYTHING UNLIMITED: Sad Tales of PHCN Workers Injured on Duty

Thursday 4 December 2014

Sad Tales of PHCN Workers Injured on Duty

Sad tales of PHCN workers injured on duty

One year after the privatisation of the power sector, persons whose future has been threatened by accidents they had while working for the Power Holding Company of Nigeria are still left without hopes of survival.

ASIDE its market benefits, the privatisation of the power sector has further shown how unprepared stakeholders are for the change. Compensation of permanently disabled persons hitherto working for the defunct. PHCN is still dragging.

These once able-bodied individuals now live at the mercy of others, as they cannot fend for themselves.

They have suddenly become street beggars and can hardly move about without being aided. Some of the victims narrate their ordeals.

Kehinde Adeleke tells his story

I was a member of staff of the defunct PHCN, Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company. I was working at Oworo Undertaking in Lagos. The unfortunate incident happened on January 25, 2013. I was electrocuted while on official duty.

I never knew how I got to the hospital. The first hospital I was taken to was Afolabi Hospital Oworo, where I spent about one hour, according to one of those that rescued me. From there I was transferred to John Ken Hospital, Akoka. I spent two weeks there, and was later taken to Igbobi Hospital, where I spent about a month and my two hands were amputated from the lower elbow.”

READ MORE AFTER THE CUT..................................................




At the time I was at Igbobi Hospital, the management of PHCN Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company settled the medical bills and also gave me the sum of N100,000 within the month of February.

Before the amputation was done, the management of the company entered into an agreement that after the amputation, it would provide me with useful and movable artificial hands, which would be fixed in Germany. This is where the medical team at Igbobi Hospital recommended and the management of the company through the then Principal Manager, Medical Services, Dr. E.L. Thliza unanimously agreed to execute the terms of the agreement within two months.

I had to leave Igbobi Hospital for Ikeja Medical Centre on March 11, 2013 when I told the organisation that I would not be able to go home under my condition after being discharged from Igbobi Hospital. I spent another four months at Ikeja Medical Centre.

Eventually, on June 20, 2013, a United Bank for Africa cheque of N2,313, 194 was given to me by the company’s management. This money was supposed to cover my passport fees, visa, ticket, as well as accommodation and hospital bills in India, where they recommended I should go for treatment.

I left Nigeria on June 29, 2013 and arrived India on June 30, 2013. When I got to the hospital in India, I discovered that the money with me could only cover an artificial hand for one limb. I had to call my management in Nigeria to complain before they sent additional N1,050,000 that covered the second hand, as well as other expenses.

However, the artificial hands given to me were not useful. The doctors at the Indian hospital did explain to me that they had useful artificial hands at their headquarters in Germany, which could be obtained for a price that is over 15 times the price of an ordinary one.

After I was told this, I called the management of my company from India and explained the options. They promised me that they would make provision for me to get the movable hand whenever I came back to Nigeria.

To my surprise, when I came back to Nigeria on August 14, 2013, the PHCN management asked me to write a letter to make my request official, which I did on August 20, 2013. Till this moment, I have not received any reply from them. I suspected that they were trying to push aside my case until the privatisation of PHCN was concluded; when l would be handed over to the new owners, who may not show interest in my case.

Up till now, I have not heard from either the former management of PHCN or the new owners. Nobody is talking to me, and I don’t have any idea of what their plans are for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Post(s)