The Federal Ministry of Works says it will embark on the rehabilitation of Carter Bridge in Lagos as soon as it gets a reliable contractor for the project.
The bridge was first constructed in 1901.
The ministry’s Director of Bridges, Mr Abishigh Dominic, told the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Lagos that once the contract was awarded, work would start on the bridge.
He said, “We just finished discussing the issue of the bridge now. We have just made the paper for the award of the contract to repair the bridge.
“We have provision in the budget which we think we want to use to do the bridge. Work will start this year, but I do not know in what month the work will start.”
Corroborating this, the Director of Highways, South-West, Mr. Ejikeme Mgbemena, said routine work had been regularly carried out on the bridge.
NAN reported that the Carter Bridge has lost some of its expansion joints, just as the covers of some manholes on the bridge have also disappeared.
Carter Bridge is one of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland.
The other two are the Eko Bridge and the Third Mainland Bridge, which is also currently undergoing rehabilitation.
Carter Bridge was originally constructed as a steel bridge by the British colonial government prior to independence in 1960.
It was dismantled, redesigned and rebuilt in 1970.
CULLED FROM PUNCH