meta content='GOSSIP, GISTS, EVERYTHING UNLIMITED' name='description'/> GOSSIP, GISTS, EVERYTHING UNLIMITED: PICTURE- Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

PICTURE- Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana.


A multi-storey department store has collapsed in Ghana's capital, Accra, with many people believed to be trapped inside.

Rescue efforts are under way, with reports that least three people have been killed.

The BBC's Sammy Darko, who is at the scene of the Melcom store collapse, says he has seen one person rescued.

Ghana's President John Dramani Mahama said he has suspended his electoral campaign for next month's poll.


I had to run for my life” Ama Okyere Eyewitness

Accra's mayor, Alfred Oko Vanderpuye, is reportedly at the scene in the Achimota neighbourhood of Accra with rescue workers who are trying to clear the rubble.

"I was very close to the mall because I was going to buy something only for me to see the building coming down," resident Ama Okyere told the AFP news agency.

"I had to run for my life. I was so terrified. I believe there are lots of people trapped under this because this is a heavily patronised shopping mall in the area."

Our reporter says it is feared that up to 200 people could be trapped.

President Mahama, in a tweet moments after the building collapsed , said: "My prayers are with the workers, shoppers and others who are trapped in the rubble of the Achimota Melcom building."



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20237230

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Post(s)